31 August 2011

Big Book Double Edition

Regular Commenter Elizabeth sent me this article on Facebook via Flavorwire: "10 Novels That We Dare You To Finish." It's pegged to PARALLEL STORIES, a novel coming out this fall I have, yes, already requested to review because I like punishment.

I've read four of the books listed -- INFINITE JEST, A SUITABLE BOY, GONE WITH THE WIND and WAR AND PEACE, plus excerpts from REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST (but probably wouldn't add up to one of its nine volumes). ATLAS SHRUGGED and THE MAN WITHOUT QUALITIES I definitely intend to get along to, along with the rest of Proust. (Seriously, I still own my copies from college, refuse to sell them, but also make them live in exile with my parents. So I'm ambivalent. Maybe next year?)

Henry Darger gives me the creeps, frankly. Maybe if I make it through that documentary about him first...

Oh yeah, and while I was there, Facebook's new time-machine function dug up the following:


Never forget. If you still haven't gotten around to it you can still go back and read my review.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Having invested 10+ weeks in reading ATLAS SHRUGGED, I feel I have a duty to warn others against making the same mistake.

While it would indubitably take you less than ten weeks to read it, I still doubt it would be worth it.

When you come and visit, you can read our copy of CRYPTONOMICON. (As for me, not enough time has elapsed since I read SNOW CRASH for me to take on any more Stephenson.)

Ellen said...

I had been under the impression that CRYPTONOMICON was a series, not a single book. Now I see why. I don't know enough about Neal Stephenson to say yes or no for sure.

Had you read THE FOUNTAINHEAD? I read it and liked it (but, in high school, so who knows) -- not sure whether it would make a difference as to whether I'd like ATLAS SHRUGGED better. I've been putting it off for the distant future.

Elizabeth said...

No, I have not read THE FOUNTAINHEAD. I'm not real inclined to pick up any more Rand any time soon.

Morgan's mom recently reread THE FOUNTAINHEAD (and, bear in mind, the reason I read ATLAS SHRUGGED is that she's one of the people who read it (admittedly, as a teenager) and loved it), and her analysis was that, although she remembered loving it when she first read it at age fifteen, now all she got out of it was that it was a tawdry romance novel.

(It is for this reason that I'm a bit afraid to go back and reread novels I loved as a teenager, like THE BOOK OF NIGHT WITH MOON or WATERSHIP DOWN or (help me) ISHMAEL: I'll be confronted with my teenage self, and ashamed.)