21 September 2009

Wrapped Up in Books Meets Michael Chabon


I said I wasn't going to nag any more -- but I'm sure you will understand if I do it one more time.

This week at the A.V. Club we're discussing Michael Chabon's THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH, which is MY pick. Come over and let me tell you why you should read this book if you haven't already! If you have, even if you hated it, please comment freely.

If I have already pestered you about it somewhere else, sorry for the rerun. I'll go e-mail my mom instead.

4 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

That edition's cover is phallic even by brick-factory-in-gay-novel standards. Well done.

I'll save my real commentary for the WUIB page, but its a great novel to discuss and I'm glad you chose it.

Ellen said...

I think they could have picked a more phallic one, frankly. But you just gave me a good (non-book-cover-related) idea for a discussion topic, so hats off.

Wade Garrett said...

Other than having a mushroom-shaped top, there isn't that much more they could have done. Its pretty phallic. I like the cover that shows the faceless guy reaching backand grabbing a cloud coming out of the factory - it seems to capture the spirit of the first half of the novel.

Ellen said...

I don't like that one -- it's bizarre if you haven't read the book and cutesy if you have, and that face-obscuring trick is so overused. (Someone told me designers do this because it's easier for the person who picks up the book to identify with the cover subject if the face isn't shown. I'm not convinced of this.)