09 September 2009

"I see my political rise with the help of my father-in-law as having elements of 'Henry IV, Part Two' and 'Henry V' and culminating with my own personal battle of Agincourt: winning the gubernatorial election. What happened after I became governor is a story filled with elements from 'Othello,' 'King Lear,' and 'Julius Caesar'; a story of intrigue, of jealousy, of manipulation, of unnatural familial behavior, and of betrayal. And while you're at it, you might as well throw in a little 'Richard the Third.' Because when the story of my years as governor ends, I was left with neither a kingdom nor a horse. Or for that matter, even a car."

-- From Slate: When in doubt about how particularly Shakespearean his story was, disgraced former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich decided to go big in his memoir. Unnatural familial behavior, yet no mention of "Titus Andronicus"?

1 comment:

8yearoldsdude said...

Rod scores high in game of "Misunderstanding Shakespeare." For a perfect score, he would have needed to misinterpret "wherefore art thou, Romeo?" So sad.