07 September 2009

You always look so cool.

So this happened in my inbox:


The e-mail (from the J. Peterman Company, WHERE ELSE) was also titled "Gatsby would be furious," but really, shouldn't it be "Carraway would be furious"? The man himself would probably nod solemnly and admire the business acumen of such a move.

"All that matters is that you have one, just one," goes the copy. "A piece of how things were." That's great, but on the wrong man (really, most men) this shirt would not look cool at all, but rather stuffy and a bit Puritan, like a stray historical re-enactor who just sat on a freshly painted picnic bench. Still, I'll make sure to order that a cupboard full of these shirts is conspicuously displayed on the set of my rap video.

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

" . . . like a stray historical re-enactor who just sat on a freshly painted picnic bench."

Awesome.

Wade Garrett said...

Two of my former roommates at a Yale 'prohibition' party, aka "Gatsby party."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NU582hQgzzI/Rmcih1bifJI/AAAAAAAAAIk/yjLVtGiID2s/s1600-h/Garrett+and+Manish+dancing.jpg

I did not attend.

Ellen said...

Not out of principle, I hope! I am all for Fitzgerald-themed parties, provided they don't require buying more than gin and feathers.