13 September 2011

TIME's 100 Best Nonfiction Books: A real smattering.

They really try to bury it (gotta get 'em clicks!!!) but here's the complete list on 1 page so you don't have to endure through a Slideshow of Doom.

Assorted notes in vague list order: 
  • First, if excerpts counted I could add another 10-15 easy to my count, but I'm stuck here at 20. Not great, considering that this list is far less moldy than the Modern Library one. 
  • Happy to see Stephen King's ON WRITING and Bill Bryson's A WALK IN THE WOODS on there.
  • I read THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X when I was way too young. Waaaaaaay too young. 
  • True library confession: I reserved AND THE BAND PLAYED ON at the library after seeing "The Normal Heart" on Broadway but balked because of its giant hardcover size. Bad ally. I'll buy it on Kindle, I promise!
  • Most recent pick that I saw: Siddhartha Muhkerjee's THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES. Highly recommended.
  • I would have thought THE BIG BOOK of AA fame was not available to purchase wherever, but so it is.
  • Was very surprised by the sports section, including the fact that there is one. 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

3! Not doing so well on the post-1923 front, it seems.

(But those three, SILENT SPRING, THE FEMININE MYSTIQUE, and GUNS, GERMS, AND STEEL are indeed all really wonderful books, so perhaps I will hold back any snarky comments I may have on James Watson until I've read THE DOUBLE HELIX: not that that'll ever happen.)