22 September 2011

"It takes great discipline to stay sloppy drunk for three hours and still be smart and engaging. I bet you’ve never achieved that. (If you think you have, your memory is lying.) So raise a brimming glass to Elevator Repair Service, which exists in what appears to be a state of perpetual and severe intoxication for the entirety of 'The Select (The Sun Also Rises),' which opened Sunday night at the New York Theater Workshop."

--Anyone want to let Ben Brantley in on the "secret" that that's likely not real alcohol up there onstage? Here's my review of the same show, which may commit errors but at least not that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah. that's pretty sloppy writing. [see what I did there]
--8YOD

Ellen said...

Maybe Ben Brantley watched the show drunk. (After 3.5 hours of watching other people drink, I admittedly could have tossed one back myself.)