25 November 2009

Reading on the Road: Giving thanks for paperbacks edition

In terms of surviving long flights and delays there is no better technology. Four of these are paperbacks, which is good enough:
Jonathan Miles, DEAR AMERICAN AIRLINES (already started, haven't had time to finish even though it is really short and debatably a waste of space)
Malcolm Gladwell, WHAT THE DOG SAW
James Dickey, TO THE WHITE SEA (Wrapped Up in Books)
Tom Mendocino, PROBATION (review)
Scott Rosenberg, SAY EVERYTHING: HOW BLOGGING BEGAN, WHAT IT'S BECOMING AND WHY IT MATTERS
I know, still too many, but I have two long travel days and this should help. (I'll be in the land of sketchy WiFi, although this blog will continue to magically write itself until I can find a signal.) If you're going somewhere for the holiday, what are you taking with you?

Photo: fabiovenni

3 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

"Then we came to the end"(Bookclub 1)
"Death in the Andes" by Vargas-Llosa (Bookclub 2)
Mary McCarthy's "The Group" (not assigned reading)

Anna Weaver Lopiccolo said...

So if I finally read "The Road" this weekend in anticipation of the movie coming out, am I going to be depressed this entire holiday weekend?

Wade Garrett said...

I am reading Walter Kirn's "Lost in the Meritocracy," Steve Martin's "Born Standing Up," and Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball."

8YOD - Then We Came To the End is one of my favorite novels of the past few years. I've recommended it to a bunch of people, and to my entire family. It would make a great choice for a book club.

AP - Possibly the only novels I've read that are as depressing as The Road are The Remains of the Day and The Things They Carried. Its difficult, but you'll be happy you read it.