10 November 2009

NYC: Austen exhibit includes LADY SUSAN manuscript


Via the Hawaiian office: The Morgan Library just opened an exhibit called "A Woman's Wit: Jane Austen's Life and Legacy," which includes the only complete Austen manuscript in existence (LADY SUSAN, seen here). Also on display: drawings that inspired her, rare editions of books that she read and loved, and letters to her family and friends. The museum is also holding several talks on Austen as well as a preview of the new Masterpiece Theatre production of "Emma" starring Romola Garai (best known as 18-year-old Briony in "Atonement").

I've never actually been to the Morgan, nor do I know how this news managed to get all the way out to Hawaii and bypassed me, but it looks like a great gloomy-winter-afternoon outing. There's also a William Blake exhibit up there right now, if that is your thing, and of course the awesome-looking library. The Morgan Library, at 225 Madison Ave. (between 36th and 37th), is open Tuesday through Sunday; admission is normally $12 but free Fridays from 7 to 9PM, in case you want to stop by before the ball.

Detail from a letter to her sister Cassandra, themorgan.org.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

...I've never heard of LADY SUSAN. I guess I ought to have my Jane Austen fan club badge taken away.

Marjorie said...

You've never been to the Morgan? Go, go, go! That was my favorite thing to do on a rainy Friday night in the city when I had no plans.

Ellen said...

Elizabeth, I've never read it, so I guess they're taking my badge away too.