03 October 2009

September Unbookening is always plotting something


Got 3 to review
Got 2, otherwise
Checked out 6
Bought 12
23 in

Gave away 4
Donated 13
Returned 12 to the library
Returned 1 to a friend
30 out

I had bought a bunch of books even before the Housing Works sale, where I made out like a bandit. In my defense, some of those were gifts, and I was afraid of what that $1 copy of IN COLD BLOOD would do if I didn't take it home.

Since you stopped paying attention two sentences ago, updates on other posts in September:
  • The experts I cited in my post about high school reading started college classes two weeks ago. Seems like just yesterday they were in the hospital wearing those stupid newborn hats! They're class of 2013, which should make the rest of you feel as old as I do.
  • Garrison Keillor did get well enough to do a book signing in New York, which I promptly missed, but that's still good news.
  • PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES is currently the best-selling book on college campuses, with TWILIGHT down at ninth place. Well done, youth of America.
Unrelated but awesome photo: sundry

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

Oh hey, I saw Garrison Keillor last week at his bookstore. The store was playing host to a cocktail party for mystery writers and booksellers, and GK was kind of hiding behind the store's counter, writing limericks on the blackboard on their back wall and then erasing them and writing new ones.

He looked reasonably healthy but I have never seen him before, so I can't really compare.

Ellen said...

This story is delightful. I didn't even know he had a bookstore! But I can't imagine he had much success in hiding, given that he's 8 feet tall and has eyebrows that practically hover over his head.

Marjorie said...

Yep, it's in St. Paul and it's called Common Good Books. Maybe because he opened it for the common good after the Ruminator bookstore closed? That is my theory.

Ellen said...

I remember when Ruminator closed, it was that big of a deal.

I've actually never been to the Twin Cities except on layovers, which is kind of crazy. Bookstore road trip!