02 October 2009

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that curiosity might kill cats, but it doesn't kill people. Unless you're curious about doing things like bungee jumping high on crack to see if you really need that harness, curiosity will not kill you! I tell you what will kill you—people will. We've got a long way to go to change that around, but I hope we do. For now, I can say this and I know it's true: Curiosity makes you smarter. Don't fight it! Learn to learn, learn to ask questions. Clearly, you've got questions about me. In this book you'll find some answers.
--From Tracy Morgan's autobiography I AM THE NEW BLACK, out October 20. See you on the dollar cart in six months, you beautiful object.

6 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

Yikes, I just read an excerpt from another inessential mid-career autobiography of an insanely talented young man (LeBron James' "Shooting Stars"). Can Blake Lively's autobiography be far behind?

Mid-career autobiographies are like the Snakehead, we have to eradicate them before they overwhelm us.

Ellen said...

I'm laughing through my shame of knowing who Blake Lively is.

Didn't Buzz Bissinger co-write that autobiography? Really, Buzz, is that defensibly better than all blogs?

8yearoldsdude said...

I have been pro-Blake Lively since her days sporting Travelling Pants.

A friend of mine who is a published poet gave me a wonderful framework for enjoying gossip girl--"It is incredibly good-looking young people doing deliciously horrible things to one another."

Ellen said...

You, sir, are full of surprises. I should use that excuse though; been coasting on "Well, it's better than [insert show here]" where that show is 3/4 of the CBS Monday comedy block, or anything else on the CW. I could just blame Chuck Bass.

8yearoldsdude said...

and yes, "shooting stars" is by Bissinger, which kindof hurts me, because I believe in "Friday Night Lights" the book in a way that I believe in few other pieces of literature. I liked the book so much I don't even really like the movie or TV show.

and to reopen old wounds, Buzz took a swipe at Krakauer on Deadspin yesterday, saying that reviews have been calling "where men win glory" "padded".

Ellen said...

Has Buzz read the Krakauer book or just the reviews?

I would give his words more weight if he has read it. I loved FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, and that's coming from someone who frankly doesn't enjoy watching football that much. (You may now register your disgust.) I think I resent Bissinger for anything he does that hasn't resulted in writing another book that great, although for all I know this LeBron project was his idea. I've read his two other books, which are more up my alley in terms of their subjects, but not nearly as compelling.