02 October 2009

Bloggers ruin everything, again.

This week in the death of publishing: Columbia University has indefinitely suspended its book review seminar. And whose fault is that? Well, newspapers', but also: mine!
"[Prof. James Shapiro] added that because so many reviewers are now blogging, freelancers are having a harder time than ever earning anything substantial from their work."
My bad! Clearly I only did it for revenge because I would have loved to take this kind of class had it been offered at my school while I was there. Also, to take one of the authors he mentioned, I'm fairly sure that if Joyce Carol Oates were coming of age now she would have a massive blog, the kind you have to read on weekends with several rounds of coffee and the font plussed up. (Not this kind.) In fact, has anyone thought of getting JCO another platform for her cacoethes scribendi to assume marvelous shape? I kid, but I would read the hell out of that.

No comments: