29 October 2009

Publishers Weekly's Best 10 Books Of 2009

Read it and weep! A list of 100 will follow next week in the print edition, although last year's best list was well over 100 volumes long; I guess we must conserve our praise. This list is also a few weeks earlier than last year's, so if your book hasn't made it out in review copies yet, you're out of luck.

Out of the 10 I have read one, David Grann's THE LOST CITY OF Z. I liked it, but I have no idea whether it will make my best list for the year. (I had read four on last year's list.) Have you read any of these books? Care to share with the class?

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

No, but at least I've heard of some of them!

And I read a blistering review of SHOP CLASS AS SOULCRAFT in The New Yorker, which is actually too bad because Crawford is a fellow alum of my alma mater (although he was there for grad school, not undergrad).

Marjorie said...

I read a positive review of SHOP CLASS AS SOULCRAFT. Interestingly the review was by Caleb Crain, the same guy who pissed off Alain do Botton just a week or two earlier.

Ellen said...

I definitely want to check out SHOP CLASS AS SOULCRAFT, though I'm skeptical of the premise (as a person who can't do much with her hands would be).

Marjorie, Caleb Crain has one of the best named blogs I've seen this year -- Steamboats are Ruining Everything. It's a good blog too but a superb name.