04 October 2009

Scenes from a library queue

This probably won't be of interest to any of you all, but I'm putting it up as a sort of artifact anyway:



NOTES
1. Missing from this list is ORYX AND CRAKE, which I wanted to read before YEAR OF THE FLOOD.
2. I was reading a paper I wrote on EL DESORDEN DE TU NOMBRE (THE DISORDER OF YOUR NAME) and nothing about the book jogged my memory. Reading begets re-reading, or fear of loss of long-term memory?
3. Clarice Lispector's book wasn't actually reviewed in the Times; it was a review of a biography of her that piqued my interest.
4. "Know" is a strong word; he's actually my editor at a certain publishing trade magazine. No, he didn't ask or force me to read his book, and yes, this means I probably won't blog about it either way.
5. Apparently living in NYC and owning a full set of SANDMAN is mutually exclusive. I've been meaning to do this for a while, so I guess I can wait a little longer.
6. Through machinations too complicated to be explained here, I was exposed to the new television adaptation "Eastwick," which... well... half a thumb up for Rebecca Romijn and Lindsay Price who turn on the charm despite being ridiculously miscast. Anyway, I was talking about the premise with a coworker and thought I should give Updike the benefit of the doubt that he wrote a better book than ABC could make a show.
7. On the first recommendation I already sat up and took notice, but the second time this book was recommended to me inside of a month I started seriously scrounging around for a copy.
8. I usually have one blockbuster rotting away in my queue at all times -- you can't see it, but I'm 241st of 246 holds. Good thing I'm in no hurry.

No comments: