13 October 2009

The most important book ever comes out today



I am extra-super excited about the A.V. Club's INVENTORY collection given my obsession with lists and my massive conflict of interest.

Running second to the most important book ever: Eoin Colfer's AND ANOTHER THING... is the first authorized sequel to Douglas Adams' HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY series about reluctant space traveler Arthur Dent (and a lot of other stuff). The last volume Adams published was MOSTLY HARMLESS in 1992; he died in 2001. Colfer is best known as the author of the ARTEMIS FOWL series, which may mean more to you than it does to me, but describes himself as a huge Douglas Adams fan. So we'll see.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So THE SALMON OF DOUBT doesn't count?

I never read THE SALMON OF DOUBT, so maybe it doesn't make any sense and shouldn't count as part of the Hitchhiker's series, just as I wouldn't really count THE ECONOMIC MANUSCRIPTS OF 1844 as part of Karl Marx's canon. Really, sometimes you should just leave unpublished notes in drawers.

Ellen said...

The little looking I did suggested that THE SALMON OF DOUBT does not, in fact, "count" among Adams fans. I read it about a year after it came out, but I can't remember much of it, so I couldn't say where I would fall on that.

As my literary executor, you should get comfortable with the idea of opening a lot of drawers.

Elizabeth said...

I trust that you will learn from Marx's experience and burn everything you don't really want published, so that I can then just go ahead and publish everything I can find.

Marjorie said...

I read half of ...AND ANOTHER THING last week, because the promotional copy my mom's store got was only half the book. It was fun and pretty well-realized, if maybe a little slower than the original 4 (I realized upon starting this one that I never read number 5, so I can't comment there). Hard to say whether it feels more like a tribute to the series or part of the thing itself.

Ellen said...

They only sent you half the book, Marjorie? That's... one way to save money on publicity.

Marjorie said...

I guess they wanted to leave us on a cliffhanger? Or Colfer wasn't done with it yet? Or they thought fans would be bartering for the advance copies if it were the entire book? For a while they stopped issuing Stephen King ARCs entirely for that reason.

Wade Garrett said...

I've been looking forward to Inventory's release for a while. Though I know people who write for some pretty great publications, the thought that some people earn their living writing stuff like this is almost too awesome to contemplate.