23 May 2011

Spotted on the subway


Normally my invisibility to my fellow subway riders is a boon to this feature, but not last night on the N train. Guy in the red Adidas jacket, I'm going to go ahead and assume you're not from here judging by the length of time you were discussing what stop to get off at (and that that stop was Times Square). So maybe you didn't realize it's rude to elbow the woman you're sitting next to every 30 seconds.

It's also rude, when you're sitting down at first, to fling your manbag (which looked stupid, by the way!) into a stranger's lap. And it's rude to roll your eyes when she asks you to stop elbowing her, which she didn't really want to do and hardly ever has to do.

I may be invisible to you but everyone else knows where I am. Get with it.


P.S. I wrote this post this morning before I realized how funny "fling your manbag" is, so allow me to clarify. The manbag was a small black leather-looking bag on a cross-body strap. It was about the length and width of a trade paperback, and thick as two. When he sat down it swung over and landed in my lap. 


It goes without saying that you should also not fling your manbag on strange women on the subway, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

No comments: