14 May 2011

Things that happened during Blogger Blackout '11

  • I started Douglas Kennedy's THE MOMENT and I am bowled over by it right now. Kennedy is one of those American writers who is most famous overseas, and all I can say is... the rest of the world is probably right.
  • My review of Jen Lancaster's IF YOU WERE HERE went up, complete with extraneous commentary (scroll down).
  • I got mild to moderate vertigo on the "catwalk level" of one of the libraries near my office (see photo). Translucent floors -- why would you ever? I'm fine now but I was shaking for at least 10 minutes. 
  • Did you miss my post about the rise of a new genre? I was fairly excited that it had been rescued.
  • Speaking of new things, someone I know took a job at a startup called Bookish.com, described in the New York Times as wanting to be the Pitchfork of books. (If you just rolled your eyes, congratulations! You're a BHD!) It hasn't launched yet but I'll be keeping an eye on this project. 
  • Isn't it ridiculous that Yankee Stadium would try to prohibit fans from bringing in Kindles? Even for the Yankees, that is a new low. /NewEnglandforever /RedSoxfan
  • The film adaptation of Lionel Shriver's WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN had its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival and got good to glowing reviews. It hasn't been picked up yet but look for it this fall starring Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly.
And that about covers it. This entry has been brought to you by Oren's Daily Roast's Beowulf blend, for the undercaffeinated monster inside you. 

2 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

Thanks for the link!

I've got The Moment on hold at the library . . . I haven't read anything by him before, but I am looking forward to this one.

Ellen said...

It sags a little bit in the middle, then it gets insane again. In a good way! You can borrow my copy if you want.