05 November 2010

Friday afternoon brainteaser

My friend Shana wrote to me with a lit-related question and I am totally stumped:
There was this short story I read when I was in 5th grade as part of our "great books" reading class. It involved people telling a story around a campfire (at least I think) about a miserly old woman with a big house and no friends. And one day she got a chicken bone stuck in her throat and the doctor said she was going to die. And she had trouble breathing so she decided to get rid of the things in her house by giving them away to her neighbors. By the end of the story she'd made so many friends since she'd given away all her belongings and her friends and her were laughing so hard that the chicken bone popped out of her throat. It's probably really random or obscure but I've wanted to find it again and I thought you might be able to help.
I was not able to help, but maybe you are. I on the other hand have now read several medical accounts of choking and will be subsisting on oatmeal and applesauce for the rest of the day.

No comments: