10 November 2010

Filmbook-to-Be: "Jane Eyre" (2011)


The Charlotte Brontë classic gets a very moody, almost horror-movie treatment from Cary Fukunaga ("Sin Nombre"). Mia Wasikowska (daughter Joni in "The Kids Are All Right," Alice in the Tim Burton "Alice in Wonderland") is Jane and that's Michael Fassbender ("Inglourious Basterds," "Hunger") as Rochester.

I may or may not be in for this movie, but the trailer did illuminate for me one additional reason I have never warmed up to this book. And now I feel totally traumatized and need a hug, the end.

Trailer via Word & Film, Random House's really nice new landing page for its movie news.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

This post is already creeping down the page, but what is that additional reason you didn't warm to the book?

Ellen said...

I think the horror of the beginning never left me. When I first tried to read JANE EYRE I think I got as far as her leaving the school, and then I stopped for some reason. At the same time my mom was going through a very, ah, Brocklehurstian disciplinary phase with us which I had mostly forgotten until I watched young Jane talking about hell. Yup!