19 August 2010

Your Assistance Please: Heard any good books lately?

It's that time of year again! That time I think about giving audiobooks another try. I feel like I need to put in a lot of caveats here. But I won't count it like I'd count a real book! But I won't stop reading the rest of the time! But I won't do abridged! But I won't like it! I mean, my preference would be to enjoy it in those moments when reading is impractical or dangerous.

I was thinking about this book narrated by Campbell Scott, because Scott has a great voice and I was interested in it anyway. (Also a big audiobook guy: Michael York. Who knew?) Maybe I should pick something longer to get my money's worth. My point is, if you listen to audio books, do you have any readers (or "narrators" in the apparent parlance) to recommend? They don't have to be famous. Or any books in particular? I could use it to go back to books I love and don't have time to re-read... The only thing I really don't want to hear are books about women in peril or serial killers -- nothing where people sneak up on people. (Well, bank robberies are fine.)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

My very favorite audiobooks are TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD read by Sissy Spacek, and THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY read by Douglas Adams.

Also, if you like the president's soothing voice in your ear, you can go for DREAMS FROM MY FATHER or THE AUDACITY OF HOPE.

But skip ECLIPSE (not that you were going to anyway): the reader has the same problem that usually plagues male actors trying to play female characters: she focuses so much on making her voice deeper any time she's playing a male character (i.e., most of them) that there's no room left for any characterization or even emotion.

I swear, listening to ECLIPSE in the car wasn't my idea.