20 August 2010

Spotted in the elevator


I was glad to have a copy of this book to spy on so I didn't have to meet the eyes of the tantrumming girl woman who forgot to push the button for her floor, then decided to angrily jab it 35 times as we ascended past her stop. At one point she backed up a step and I thought she was going to kick the button instead.

"I couldn't hit it because everyone else was in the way," she said to her friend, glaring at me. I'm just trying to ascend and suddenly I'm in a terrible horror movie trailer.

My mom said this Pulitzer Prize winner was so boring she fell asleep while reading it. Multiple times. Has anyone else read it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you wrote:
"so boring she fell asleep while reading it. Multiple times."

made me lol!

Ellen said...

Heh. My mom should have Michiko Kakutani's job -- criticism comes very easily to her.

Peter Knox said...

I read it and am glad I did. It felt more like poetry than literature, but was successful in transporting me to an unfamiliar but real time and place. I could use a second read on it and it's short enough to be able to easily do so.