08 June 2009

Wrapped Up in Books: It's BLOOD MERIDIAN Week

If you've read what may arguably be Cormac McCarthy's breakout book, please be The AV Club's guest at our book club this week. (And if you don't think it's his breakout, perhaps you'd like to come and argue about it. You are welcome to do so.) Last month in my commentary I referenced "The Little Mermaid"; find out what crazy pop-culture tidbit I try and apply this month.

ETA 10:13AM I just took three exclamation points out of this post. I am so ashamed. McCarthy never had to use an exclamation point in his life.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Don't be ashamed. As we all know from EATS, SHOOTS & LEAVES, even the exclamation point has its place in prose. At least for people who feel passion

Ellen said...

Passionate or no, I think three in three sentences is a bit excessive given these straitened times.

Elizabeth said...

Because when our wallets get smaller, our feelings do, too?

Ellen said...

No, because if I wear out my set of exclamation points I might not be able to replace them. Or I might have to go for the generic brand, which I picture as chronically missing their bottom dots.