09 June 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, I've traveled over half our country to be here tonight.

Author Dan Baum, whose book NINE LIVES on New Orleans is on my to-read shelf right now, wants to talk to your book club -- remotely! "I won't even drink any of your wine," Baum pitched on Twitter, with a very short video message about his proposal.

This would be fun I think for my own book club to do -- Marjorie, we could even patch you in from Ely! -- were it not for two factors: First, we try to go for books already in paperback, being urban and of a frugal nature. And second, I was under the impression, perhaps incorrect, that authors get paid to make these appearances (see again, frugal nature). I don't blame them (especially for in-person appearances which could be very inconvenient) but I wouldn't want to preemptively invite anyone and then withdraw.

It is a cool idea, though; even if you're not in the cult of Mac, webcams run pretty cheap these days.

4 comments:

Nonickname said...

Hmmm...I don't think that authors always charge a fee to make book club appearances. We have an author in our neighborhood and she came to one of my book clubs to talk to us, for free, because a good friend of hers(not me) was in the book club. What you all need are better connections!

Marjorie said...

Ha, I'm not much of a webcam user (read: I have never used a webcam) but that does sound like fun. My reading is suuuper limited in scope right now, though.

Ellen said...

Let me guess... Wolves?

Marjorie said...

Got it in one.