08 June 2009

Just don't ask him about the Finer Things Club

John Krasinski seems determined to prove he is not just the hipstery hanger-on for which I'd pegged him. From TIME magazine:

How hard was it to write the screenplay for David Foster Wallace's BRIEF INTERVIEWS WITH HIDEOUS MEN? --Zach Watson, Columbus, OH

I think David Foster Wallace is one of the greatest writers that has ever lived. The majority of the movie is his words. I didn't change too much. I felt really nervous pretty much every day for about five years because I know how many people love his work.

What other writers or novels do you admire? --Jude Lovell, Bethlehem, PA

I'm a huge classics fan. I love Ernest Hemingway and J.D. Salinger. I'm that guy who rereads a book before I read newer stuff, which is probably not all that progressive, and it's not really going to make me a better reader. I'm like, "Oh, my God, you should read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD." And people are like, "I'm not 15." Still good, though.

He also jokes he wanted to be an English professor "for the corduroy jackets with patches on the side." With his choices one might quibble but there's only so far I can knock him since we share an alma mater. IMDb doesn't have a release date listed yet for "Brief Interviews..." which also stars Julianne Nicholson, Timothy Hutton and (hipster alert) Ben Gibbard.

No comments: