06 November 2008

RIP Michael Crichton

The author of JURASSIC PARK, CONGO, SPHERE (my personal favorite) and many other books died amid the voting excitement on Tuesday, his family announced.

I think Crichton's books were the first literary "fad" I ever picked up on. I wanted to read them because other people at school were reading them; I thought they were "cool" and I needed all the cool points I could get at that stage. (Another middle-school literary fad I can remember: Richard Preston's THE HOT ZONE -- similar to some of Crichton's books, but true.) I think they caught on because they were so cliffhanger-friendly, but also carried the tag of "adult" books,

Crichton came under fire last year for introducing a very unflattering portrayal of someone who had criticized him into his book NEXT, but I'll always remember late nights under the covers trying to figure out what the gorillas were up to. So what literary fads have you noticed recently around you? Here's what I've got:
  • Picking up TWILIGHT just to see what the fuss is about (I'm speaking of adults here) and racing through the Meyer series
  • Tana French -- her name seems to be popping up everywhere I look.
  • Microbooks rushed into print like STUFF WHITE PEOPLE LIKE (blog born 2008, book published mid-2008) and BARACK OBAMA IS YOUR NEW BICYCLE. As fast as a reprint, but more topical (although maybe more people will read ...IS YOUR NEW BICYCLE now, to see what other things Barack Obama is).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very sad news
RIP Mike

Elizabeth said...

I recently read A CASE OF NEED and liked it very much. It was his first book (published under a nom de plume while he was still a medical student), and is I suppose what someone might call medical fiction, not science fiction.
I'm very grateful for the opportunity I had to see Michael Crichton speak in April of last year: this very sad turn of events might also explain why he was so evasive then when we asked him when we could expect his next book.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen! Let me know what you think about Ellen. A friend gave me a copy of the four books and I am curious about what the fuss is about too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my... :-(