30 November 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year

The New York Times Best Books of 2011 list is out. Five quick thoughts:
  1. 4 for 10! Probably the best I've done on this in years! (Last year I was 2 for 10 at press time.) But I'm fairly sure I disagree with 2 off the top, so it didn't help. 
  2. THINKING, FAST AND SLOW is the greatest book title Dr. Seuss never had the chance to use (RIP Theodor Seuss Geisel)
  3. Surely someone else here has read THE TIGER'S WIFE and can back me up when I say that the summary provided is titanically inaccurate. I can only assume all of them were boiled down from longer blurbs for space, but something went awry there.
  4. I can't wait to purchase a gag gift of ARGUABLY for a friend who's on an adverb crusade. This has nothing to do with the list, I just remembered and it fills me with delight. Maybe I'll even mock up a second cover with the title BASICALLY -- in his view, the worst offender of adverbs -- just to pile on. I'd use this author photo, found by Google searching "young hot christopher hitchens" because I live my life without regrets. 
  5. It was only last year FREEDOM came out? So great, now time is slowing down.

No comments: