01 January 2011

2011 Reading Resolutions

Read 2666. I've owned a copy for over a year now and it seems like every time I read a best of decade list, or the A.V. Club does some kind of round-up, some self-appointed conscience-person pipes up to ask why this book isn't represented. Then I look at it on my shelf and think "Well but first I should read X, Y, and Z and also those essays by A" and then my brain shuts down and I make some more coffee instead. Let's do this thing this year. Love it or hate it (probably love given all its accolades up to now). 
Read the 3 David Foster Wallace short-story collections. I finished THE BROOM OF THE SYSTEM in bed this morning (when I said I was going to give that up, I lied).
Knock 3 books off the Modern Library list. That should be stupidly easy.

So, what are yours? (Edited to add: I feel mine are devastatingly simplistic now that I've read the L.A. Times list of reading resolutions from authors. Please to note.)

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

If you're looking for somebody to read 2666 with, let me know. Its on my list as well, and I am kind of on a roll with long novels lately.

Ellen said...

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe in a month or two?

Wade Garrett said...

Sounds good to me. I was saddened to see that 2666 is not available for the Kindle (the whole POINT was to not have to carry around cumbersome books anymore!) but that seems like the sort of big project I need a friend to help me get through. Infinite Jest took me a couple of false starts; reading 2666 with a friend might
make the first time a charm.

Also, 146 books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!