11 July 2010

Some thoughts on the trailer for Gary Shteyngart's SUPER SAD TRUE LOVE STORY



1. Generous is the man who allows himself to be upstaged multiple times, by other authors in his own book trailer.
2. That said, if you think he's funny here I urge you to see him in person, where he is organically hilarious. See his tour dates here.
3. One person who doesn't upstage him: The celebrity cameo. Without giving away anything, and to sound like a teen magazine briefly, I am so over this celebrity popping up everywhere. I thought what this celebrity was doing was kind of cool and contra-Hollywood, but now it's all starting to look stunty and frankly, I will be happy to leave that person to it and not read any more "What will X do next?" pieces. I can say this with impunity because someone I know has a MASSIVE crush on this celebrity but never reads this prestigious blog.
4. Despite that, and for what it's worth, the trailer accomplishes what it ought: I want to read the book more. Set and match. Whether it will get people not so immersed as I (who perhaps don't recognize the name of Shteyngart, for example) to buy the book, is questionable -- but it sure worked on me.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I am startled by the mention of my alma mater in this book trailer.

Ellen said...

Ah geez, I should have warned you.