14 July 2010

Langerblogging: I want to read all five of those books

From a Huffington Post interview:

Shivani: Did you meet with early success, in terms of getting your first novel accepted for publication, or was it a long, hard road for you?

Langer
: If I pretended that my first published novel, CROSSING CALIFORNIA, was actually the first novel I wrote, I'd say that it was easy. I'd say, yup, I finished the book, got an agent, got a contract, and started work on Book #2. But in saying that, I'd be ignoring the fact that my first novel, MAKING TRACKS, a teen detective story written when I was in high school, is still in a drawer. And so is my second novel, IT TAKES ALL KINDS, a 300-page long screed about my first week at Vassar. Also, my third novel, A ROGUE IN THE LIMELIGHT, a picaresque journey modeled on HUCK FINN and A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES, never found the right agent, even though some people (well, my mother) have called it my best novel. One of my earliest agents said that my fourth novel, INDIE JONES, a slacker comedy set in Chicago's independent film world, would easily find a home at Doubleday, but that didn't happen. And I stopped looking for an agent for my fifth novel, an existential thriller called AMERICAN SOIL, when I realized there was too much personal shit in it and I really didn't want to deal with having it published. But yeah, once I finished Book #6, it was smooth sailing.
Filling me with delight, this guy. He also admits to having never taken a writing class because he didn't want to "ruin the magic."

1 comment:

Lara Ruth said...

Loved this so much I had to Tweet it. Perfect.