07 July 2010

Author Blog of the Week(-ish): Lev Grossman

Title: just Blog.
Location: levgrossman.com/blog/
Books for which proprietor is responsible: THE MAGICIANS, which comes strongly recommended from a number of friends although I haven't read it yet (just picked up a copy over Memorial Day weekend); also WARP and CODEX.
Features: Tongue-in-cheek Q&A posts like So Lev Grossman What Is The Deal With You And Time Magazine; "Simpsons" stills; categories quoting '90s rock songs.
You'd never know this author... Well, I didn't know before reading the blog that THE MAGICIANS was not his first book; read all about that in How I Got Published By Lev Grossman; Or, A Series Of Unfortunate Events.
Why you should read it: His frankness appeals to me; maybe it's because he has a hand in journalism but it seems that he strives for transparency. I arrived at this blog via a Salon article on antidepressants pointing to his post on same, and it's pretty frank too.
Sample passage: "I would never suggest that there should be a comparable 40-and-up writers list. But I do think there should be a list of writers who are exactly 40. I would have a shot at that one. Me and Kelly Link (b. 1969). And John Scalzi (also b. 1969). David Anthony Durham. David Mitchell. Huh. Actually it’s pretty competitive."
A great recent post: Why They Don't Do Behind The Music for Books
Bit of trivia I'm shoving in here at the bottom 'cause I can: Grossman is married to a writer (Sophie Gee, THE SCANDAL OF THE SEASON) and his twin brother Austin is also a writer (SOON I WILL BE INVINCIBLE).

No comments: