23 June 2010

Some twit of a tweeter with the moniker of @hoopopinion wrote that as badly as LeBron had played for the Cleveland Cavaliers, it still wasn’t worse than the book we had written. Why was I being dragged into this mess?

SHOOTING STARS was far from the best book I had ever written; the compromises of such collaboration, written in the first person of James and subject to his approval, had always shamed me. I did it for the money, because all writers, or at least those who don’t want to die, also have to eat. But I also did it because it was an inspirational coming-of-age story involving LeBron and the four teammates who had become his brothers through high school. I took great offense to what this Twit twat said. So I wrote back: Fuck off.
Buzz Bissinger joined Twitter and developed a serious case of Get Off My Lawn, only he thinks the entire Internet is his lawn.

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

Since he published Friday Night Lights, one of the greatest sports books of all time, he has grown increasingly insufferable. In addition to comments like these, he is a champion of the old-fashioned, access-driven style of sports journalism, which basically means he ends up falling in love with everybody he chronicles, and takes their cliches at face value all too often. So, he hates sports bloggers. After all, the internet lets them publish snarky things they haven't fully thought through.