26 June 2010

How to make yourself happy with books

I recently finished Gretchen Rubin's THE HAPPINESS PROJECT, a book whose overall cheeriness and array of applications snuck up on me a little. Rubin admits at the beginning that her life is pretty good overall -- working author, two happy children, nice New York apartment -- but that maybe she didn't appreciate how good it was, often enough.

Being a writer, reading played a part in Rubin's quest for happiness; here are her lessons that stuck out for me (in my words):
Abandon pretension and read what you really like. Rubin loves children's literature, so she decides to make a special effort to seek it out among her other, more "appropriate" reading choices. This decision went hand-in-hand with her choice to only listen to the pop music that she loved, rather than the jazz and classical music she felt she should be enjoying.
Buy the books that matter to you. Rubin describes her joy at finding a collectible set of books she had been looking for, even though her own husband points out that the books will sit on the shelf as largely a conversation piece. I think about something similar when I give away a 'classic' book to make room for something that will never be taught in college courses.
Share it with others. In keeping with her interests, Rubin started a children's literature book club that proved to be such a success she started a second club for people who didn't join the first one right away. (Check the acknowledgments to find out which other 'name' authors were numbered among those club members.)
I largely agree with these rules, although they share the book's bias overall towards the belief that its author has more money than time and the actions that stem from that. As long as I'm here, if I had to spell them out, a few of my own:
Ask people what they're reading. Ask everyone! People who do read are happy to tell you, and the ones who don't (or who act like it's a retrograde question to begin with) set themselves apart right away.
Keep a list. At the end of the year, I always put a list of all (or almost all) the books I read on this blog. But even if I didn't have a book blog, I would still keep that list for myself. It gives me a sense of accomplishment, and it allows me to look back and say, "That was the summer I read ____" and nostalgize a bit.
Stay up late. When I was a kid, the best thing was reading by flashlight and not getting caught, or even sitting downstairs with my dad and not being sent up to bed because I was "just finishing this chapter." Now I can stay up as late as I want, but I still enjoy that feeling of stealing time away from the end of the day.
You're probably here because books make you happy, but what are your rules?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I totally agree on reading what makes you happy, instead of reading what everyone tells you to read, though not either to the exclusion of the other. I think of mystery books (my children's lit equivalent) as being the easy reads that recharge my batteries for the bigger tomes, and the more classic lit as the books that offer context that allows me to better understand and enjoy the faster reads. Complements, not conflict!

Wade Garrett said...

In The Believer, Nick Hornby often mentions something that I believe to be good advice: if a book bores you, put it down and move on. Struggling through a book you dislike, just to be able to say that you finished it, isn't worth the time and effort, and reading that much material you dislike can put you off of reading in general.