16 June 2010

Next year in Dublin


I think my lit degree would get revoked if I didn't mention that today is Bloomsday, the date on which James Joyce's ULYSSES takes place and a classic Joycefest. Another year in which I have not re-read ULYSSES nor have I been to its city of its origin... but someday!

In New York I know there are a bunch of Bloomsday events going on, including Stephen Colbert reading from it at Symphony Space; I also like Tablet Magazine's "Bloom in Bloomsday" at Solas. The L.A. Times has a round-up of events the world over including in Baltimore, Syracuse and of course Los Angeles. And here's a Google Maps project that adapts Bloom's path to any city in the world, in case you want to take a very long walk.

ETA: Flavorpill has a Which ULYSSES Character Are You? quiz. I got L. Bloom with a strong secondary in Dedalus.

Photo, North Earl St. @ Earl Place, Dublin: luca_200x

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

Great post title, or greatest post title?