08 April 2010

Your Assistance Please: If they don't win it's a shame

The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd... The Second Pass has a neat post this week about baseball books and recommends some that are new to me, including THE BROTHERS K and CRAZY '08.

Is it time for me to do another baseball book week? I think so! Two solid options I have on hand are Philip Roth's THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL (= one of the greatest book titles ever) and Jonathan Mahler's LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE BRONX IS BURNING. What else should I make time for? For reference, the first-rounders were THE BOYS OF SUMMER, THE NATURAL (plus the iffy movie), THREE NIGHTS IN AUGUST and MONEYBALL.

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

I would whole-heartedly support another 'baseball week.' Jim Bouton's "Ball Four" has been on my shelf for a long time, and I intend to finally get around to it this spring.

"The Bronx Is Burning" was a great book, but its less about baseball than it is about how crazy New York City went in 1977.

Wade Garrett said...

Also, Daniel Okrent's Nine Innings is really good. Its a little dated in some days (its about 25 years old) but its really a classic of the genre, and the game that he writes about was a Brewers game from the old County Stadium.

Ellen said...

I went to my first baseball game at County Stadium (RIP)! Hey, wait a second...

/looks the book up/

Dang, too early. But those are helpful, thank you!