05 April 2010

Goodreads: Death to auto-post!

Reader beware, if you have the Goodreads Facebook application installed and you log on to add a book, Goodreads will now auto-publish it to your Facebook feed. You can get rid of it automatically by uninstalling the Facebook app (as I have just done) or manually, by looking for the box to uncheck in the lower right-hand corner of the "Added to your shelf" bubble.

I just noticed this and what a total nuisance. If this feature had to be offered at all, Goodreads should have made it opt-in, not opt-out as well as let users know they were about to start spamming their Facebook friends with how many books they had out from the library. It's not that I mind that everyone could have known I finally got off the waiting list for THE HELP, I am happy to cheerlead for the site, but would prefer to do it on my own terms.

1 comment:

Anna Weaver Lopiccolo said...

I'd like to know how to do this with Flickr. It's another automatic thing I wasn't given the chance to opt out to.