29 April 2010

Jersey Reads

The New Jersey library system is in deep trouble after the governor wrote in a 74 percent decrease in funds into next fiscal year's budget, according to the Star-Ledger. Interlibrary loans? Don't need 'em! Internet access in the library? So 2009.

Meanwhile, an assemblyman wants to eliminate minimum funding levels for municipalities throughout the state, about which, some interesting math from a local library director:
"A Parsippany homeowner living in a home valued at $400,000 pays $133.32 per year for public library service. That’s $2.56 a week. If this homeowner or someone in his family borrows one item a month, they are almost doubling their investment. It’s a $10.24 investment versus the almost $20 cost for that item. "
For those of us heavy users of the library, high five! that sounds like a serious bargain, but I'm afraid that could cut both ways -- with people saying, "Well, I'll just buy $133.32 or less in entertainment myself, thanks." It is possible to do this, but you sure wouldn't go out much; at least this way you're going to the library.

Jerseyites might want to watch SaveMyNJLibrary.org to see what they can do about either or both of those initiatives, including attending the rally next week. (Sent in by a special correspondent who saw Neil Gaiman tweeting about it.)

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

I spend a lot of money on books, but then, I read a lot. I try to rationalize that spending by saying that, considering how its my favorite thing to do, and how many books I borrow from the library and/or friends, i'm actually paying relatively little for what would otherwise be an expensive hobby.

Also, how much less would you use the library if it did not have the online reservation system? If I had to keep checking back in until I finally found a copy of The Big Short, I would waste a lot of time each week (and would eventually probably just buy the damn thing).