09 April 2010

750Words.com: For those about to write


Here's a cool accountability-driven writing site just bubbled up from the darkness. 750 Words would like to encourage you to do a little writing every day (about 3 pages, YFMV) and provides an auto-scrolling, auto-saving text box to get you to the magic number. You "compete" against other people on the site to have written every day and get stats on your performance (at l. via the creator's site), but unlike with a blog, what you write is completely private.

I'm sure it sets Merlin's head on fire to think about the people who would need this. For me, I'd rather resurrect my Daytum account and just enter the word counts there than be tied to feeding work over various platforms into one site. But it could be a great motivator if you find that you start out with intentions of writing every day and then fall off a little, then fall off a little more, and suddenly you're all caught up on "Archer" and have no work to show for it. (Hypothetically.) The site just started a challenge for April, but you have time to catch up.

1 comment:

Nance said...

Can't do it. Working on my non-zero-sumness as a stress-reliving strategy; this looks like too much pressure and competition. It chaps me sometimes to have to write two posts in one day...although I hope I'm funny when I'm chapped. Word counts? I LOVE words. Mandatory word counts are reminiscent of body counts. I don't think we should treat our best friends that way.