07 May 2009

Your Assistance Please: Books about modern Rome

I'm back from my first trip to the Eternal City and the landing has been a bit bumpy, not least because today is my first ever jury duty summons.

I don't know how long this participatory venture in American justice will last*, but I sure would like to take some books about Rome with me -- but contemporary Rome, not phalanx-and-toga stuff. The only Wormbook book I found that mentions Rome is EAT, PRAY, LOVE (the "Eat" section takes place there) but, of course, I've read that. I've read DAISY MILLER which I believe takes place partly in Rome, and I knocked out ANGELS & DEMONS on the flight over (about which, more later).

Got a suggestion that will help ease the pain of re-entry? I would love to hear it, and not just if you believe you will soon be appearing on the docket in New York County and facing my wary jet-lagged eye. And while we're at it, if anyone knows why I have had "Buddy Holly" stuck in my head since I got back, have at it.

*Books I'm bringing with me to the courthouse: four. Overkill: complete.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's not modern Rome, but the Marcus Didius Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis are set in Ancient Rome, as is her non-mystery THE COURSE OF HONOUR.

Marjorie said...

Portrait of a Lady has a significant portion of the story take place in Rome, and has some of my favorite writing anywhere about living in beautiful old places ("She had long before this taken old Rome into her confidence..."), although it's quite melancholy. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else at the moment. Almost everyone who flees to Italy and writes a book about it seems to go to Tuscany.

Marissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marissa said...

Hah, realized you were already on top of Angels and Demons. Obviously.