28 May 2009

Author: Buy my book even though I don't read

"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed... I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life."

- Just in time for BEA! It's Kanye West, whose seemingly content-less book THANK YOU AND YOU'RE WELCOME hit stores this spring, being contrarian and illiterate. Is that the best way to honor your late mother, the former English professor?

Clearly the only revenge is to consume as much of West's four albums in print as possible. In fact this morning quite unrelated to this news I actually Googled some Kanye West lyrics, and then I read them.* Take that, O AutoTuner.

*Sometimes I do this just to marvel that it can be done after years of listening to songs over and over to copy down the lyrics. Kids these days with their search engines!

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

Once when I was really bored in religion class in like seventh grade I wrote out most of the lyrics to Dr. Dre's The Chronic - like seven or eight songs - inside of a spiral notebook of mine. Its probably a good thing the teacher never confiscated it, because as a 13 year old I would have had trouble explaining all of the references to Easy-E and Nate Dogg and jimmies and chin-nuts and 'Frisco Dykes and the LBC and so forth. It took hours of listening to that record to memorize those lyrics!!! If I could have just googled them it wouldn't have been anywhere near as cool.

Wade Garrett said...

Also, the whole trend where celebrities don't even PRETEND to have written their books, or even contributed ideas to their ghost writer, really pisses me off. Nobody really expects a professional entertainer or athlete to write every last word of their autobiography themselves - after all, they're not writers - but the least they can do is sit for extended interviews with the ghost writer and try to be candid and give a few insights into themselves that wouldn't otherwise be apparent. Otherwise, they're just being dicks. Kanye West has gone from being the most earnest and likeable person in hip-hop to being a pampered snob in the span of about three years. Was it inevitable? Probably. But that doesn't make it any less disappointing to me.

Ellen said...

I didn't expect much better behavior from Kanye, and surely he protests too much, but his outrage is getting predictable.

I hope you kept that notebook.