22 May 2009

Reading on the Road: Is your bed made? Is your sweater on?


Off to a wedding in Michigan, and this time I didn't even try to pack light (formalwear!). I'm bringing 5 books again, because I have even more time to kill in transit. Hey, did you know Detroit Metro Airport has a Jose Cuervo Tequileria? Who wants to do shots and talk about Ellroy?

Yes, I'm bringing LA CONFIDENTIAL and hoping that this will be the trip when I finish it, drinks or no drinks. (No drinks, likely; my attention span is short enough.) Along with the regular review cohort I've also got Mark Helprin's DIGITAL BARBARISM, which I'm sure also goes great with lime and a little salt. (Oops, forgot to run that through the Blurbinator! What I mean is: "Piquant and bitter... leaves an unforgettable taste." I haven't read the book yet.)

Suitable for packing, drinking, fretting, pining, memorializing or whatever else you are doing this fine Friday:


Photo of books reflected in a Cuervo bottle: carolinabeiertz

ETA: after this post was written but before it was published, the author discovered that she had left her cell phone in New York. On the bright side, Books 5, Phone 0 would make a great epitaph.

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

It would seem to me that tequilla would mix very badly with long delays and bumpy flights, which unfortunately are two almost-unavoidable aspects of air travel.

Marjorie said...

Oh hey, new Mark Helprin book! I had no idea! Is it so angry as to be offputting? Helprin is a weird case in that I disagree with his political philosophy but know that his writing wouldn't be what it is without his conservatism, and his writing is, at its best, so unbelievably beautiful that I can't wish the author any different. Still. His opinions can be kind of obnoxious.

(sorry for the delayed reply; I am apparently on the many-days-at-one-time-then-nothing plan of blog reading at the moment.)

Ellen said...

No worries, Marjorie. I haven't read the whole thing, but it is very angry so far, albeit not in a outwardly political way.