11 December 2008

A postcard from Nikita?

Got a funny piece of mail today. It appeared to be a postcard from New York but when I flipped it over, it was dated... September 17, 1959? An excerpt:
When I arrived in New York City today, there was a riot of angry protestors against me -- a most unpleasant greeting! In Russia, this sort of disrespect to a guest would never be allowed -- nyet! I'll bet Nixon has a hand in it.
Turns out it was a promo for Public Affairs' next-summer release K BLOWS TOP, about Nikita Khrushchev's trip to the U.S. I'm guessing I got this because I reviewed a book about Nixon earlier this year, but my interest is definitely piqued. Postcards are so rare these days.

(While writing this post, I had Jens Lekman's "A Postcard To Nina" stuck in my head -- a song that's practically a short story of its own. Listen with static image here.)

No comments: