05 September 2008

Do you like Lolita? Hmmm... there must be a better way to say that.

Are you an aficionado of the prose stylings of Vladimir Nabokov's arguably most famous and controversial novel about the erudite double-named pedophile, Humbert Humbert? Well done.

I read LOLITA even before my Modern Library project began, and young enough that a lot of things probably went over my head, so I'm not sure if the New School's Lolita in America conference on Saturday the 27th is for me. But it is the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of LOLITA in the U.S., and the symposium is covering the controversy over getting it into print, plus what it was like to read the novel as a 12-year-old Russian girl from Nina Khrushcheva and at day's end a screening of Kubrick's adaptation. While this isn't on the conference docket, I imagine Azar Nafisi's READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN will also come up.

Registrations are due two weeks from Sunday, September 21st, so if you like LOLITA, there's your chance to spend a whole day with her.

No comments: