17 June 2008

Oh, the Places You'll Go With O.

I am a laggard blogger of late because I just flew home from sunny California. One of my amazing awesome sisters graduated from college this weekend, so it was a happy occasion indeed to request some time off work and give her the credit she deserves. Next year she could be teaching your kids to read as a Teach for America corps member. Congrats, Buddy!!

For her graduation I gave her a few books I thought might be useful to her as an (and oh how I loathe to use this word) adult -- two I had read and found useful and one I read reviews of that made it seem promising. Turns out someone else had the same idea I had -- her graduation speaker, She Of The One Name, Oprah. I liked Ms. Winfrey's speech fine but what I really appreciated was that she gave copies of two of her current favorite books, Eckhart Tolle's A NEW EARTH and Daniel Pink's A WHOLE NEW MIND, to undergrads and graduate students being fĂȘted. I've never read either but I thought it was a nice gesture -- better than leaving one of your own books, and certainly easier to move out of a dorm than, say, a free car.

Anyway, I knew the trip was coming, and yet things came up and I didn't have time to write anything before I left. Suffice to say, I finished two books while I was there (as usual slightly less than hoped for), delivered two to parents and got two recommended by my aunt (she of the amazing Bookmooching prowess -- up to 107 books given away already!) I came home to a stack of packages, though, so I will have many mighty tomes to review. Ah, books! If only you could cure the sunburn I got from sitting in the stadium.

But to invoke the title, I have never given or received OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO as a graduation gift... what about you?

No comments: