06 June 2008

The Readiness Is All

I have an announcement to make. It's something that has been in the works for a few weeks but, as is common with things arranged through the Internet, seemed rather tenuous at first. And may I preemptively say, no, I am not quitting the blog.

When I started this blog I didn't consider myself a book critic. I read compulsively and sometimes I wrote reviews, but really I was just a dork who read a lot. I don't write about my reviewing activities much in part because I can hardly believe that I even get the opportunities I've had in the three years since, that people send me books in the mail and occasionally respect my opinion on them. And not to toot my own horn, but I think that's pretty awesome.

Beginning this month, the blog and I are doing something a little crazy: We're going live! I'm hitching my wagon to a D.C.-area radio show, Talk of the Town with Parker Sunshine, and will join Parker on air once a month to review a book of interest. I'll be covering mostly popular fiction and nonfiction, such judicious mix as Ms. Sunshine and I decide together, beginning with Elizabeth Noble's THINGS I WANT MY DAUGHTERS TO KNOW.

My first appearance will air June 25; till then I'll be taking impromptu broadcaster lessons from Camus (who used to be a college-radio DJ) and getting used to the sound of my recorded voice because I've never been on the radio in a non-calling-in-for-free-concert-tickets capacity. Hopefully it won't bother you if I remind you all to listen to the show that night (online if not locally), talk up the book itself, and generally drive you insane with my new! Fun! Project! Because I hope this will be fun. I have big plans for fun.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are so awesome!!!

But why Washington?

Elizabeth said...

Can I call in and ask dumb questions?

Also, will you actually schlep down to Fairfax? Morgan's grandparents live right around the corner from there.

Anonymous said...

That's great! Remind us when it gets closer.

Ellen said...

Elizabeth,

I'm pretty sure it's not a call-in segment, but if there were a potential for that, you would definitely be encouraged to call in and ask dumb questions.

It's Washington because I happened upon the opportunity completely by accident and it happened to be there. I'll be calling in and I don't have any current plans to schlep, but we shall see.