05 June 2008

Summer Reading 2008: Big Fat Paperback Edition

I know a LOT of books will come up and I will be diving into my collection with solar-powered fever, so my list is shorter than last year's. There are some high page counts on there, though.
  1. Michael Gross, 740 PARK. This has been sitting on my nightstand with a bookmark in it for over a year. And I promised Pearl I would let her borrow it after we went to see 740 Park Avenue. Pearl, I didn't forget!
  2. David Simon, THE CORNER (follow-up to HOMICIDE: A YEAR ON THE KILLING STREETS) Finished 6.14.08; read my review here
  3. Vikram Chandra, SACRED GAMES
  4. Herman Wouk, MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR
  5. Nobel Prize Winner Doris Lessing's THE GOLDEN NOTEBOOK
  6. Tina Brown, THE DIANA CHRONICLES -- the one book I bought last month, in mass market.
  7. Galt Niederhoffer, A TAXONOMY OF BARNACLES
  8. Joseph Berger, THE WORLD IN A CITY
  9. Mark Helprin, FREDDY AND FREDERICKA -- removed off my "currently reading" shelf on Goodreads because I can't remember anything that took place in this book. I thought I remembered a few scenes but upon further reflection they were all from Alan Bennett's THE UNCOMMON READER.
I would also like to reread Min-Jin Lee's FREE FOOD FOR MILLIONAIRES and Betty Smith's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.

And the book I want so badly to put on this list but feel I may never get to it: Robert Caro's THE POWER BROKER.

So what are you reading this summer, besides the back of that SPF45 bottle? (Pale people unite!)

No comments: