16 December 2011

RIP Christopher Hitchens, who passed away last night after battling esophageal cancer:

"I can remember thinking, of testing moments involving love and hate, that I had, so to speak, come out of them ahead, with some strength accrued from the experience that I couldn’t have acquired any other way. And then once or twice, walking away from a car wreck or a close encounter with mayhem while doing foreign reporting, I experienced a rather fatuous feeling of having been toughened by the encounter. But really, that’s to say no more than 'There but for the grace of god go I,' which in turn is to say no more than 'The grace of god has happily embraced me and skipped that unfortunate other man.'" --Vanity Fair, Jan '12 issue

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

I noticed that Amazon is sold out of Arguably, Christopher Hitchens' most recent collection of essays. Hitchens was a great writer and a better arguer, and he has left a very particular void in our public discourse that somebody intelligent needs to fill. I would have loved to see what he had to say about the deaths of Vaclav Havel and Kim Jong-Il, for example.