29 December 2011

Reading Regrets of 2011

Months in which I read the fewest books
September, followed by February

Books I didn't have time to finish before I had to return them to the library
Christopher Bollen, LIGHTNING PEOPLE
Andrew Ross Sorkin, TOO BIG TO FAIL
Randy Shilts, AND THE BAND PLAYED ON
Adam Ross, MR. PEANUT
Hunter S. Thompson, THE RUM DIARY 
Nicholson Baker, THE ANTHOLOGIST

A book I paid too many library fines on relative to how much I enjoyed it
Gary Shteyngart, SUPER SAD TRUE LOVE STORY

Authors I wanted to get more into, but didn't have time
Kate Christensen
John O'Hara
Vera Brittain
James Hynes
Jim Knipfel

Most overused pronoun in titles this year
"My" 

A book I liked only slightly less than most people I know, but which gave me a complex about it
Karen Russell, SWAMPLANDIA!

A book by an established author that lacks what makes the others great
Jennifer Weiner, THEN CAME YOU

A tell-all that doesn't tell much
Eva Gabrielsson, THERE ARE THINGS I WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT STIEG LARSSON AND ME

A hipster treasure I expected to like but did not
Misha Glouberman and Sheila Heti, THE CHAIRS ARE WHERE THE PEOPLE GO

A funny memoir that didn't get enough credit
Hilary Winston, MY BOYFRIEND WROTE A BOOK ABOUT ME (she writes for that show you like, what's it called, "Community." And I just found out who the titular boyfriend is! Thank you Internet!)

The book that makes other books about talking animals look bad
Benjamin Hale, THE EVOLUTION OF BRUNO LITTLEMORE

Books I finished in one sitting and then was sad that there wasn't more
Patton Oswalt, ZOMBIE SPACESHIP WASTELAND
Stephen Kelman, PIGEON ENGLISH
Amy Waldman, THE SUBMISSION

No comments: