15 December 2009

What books "Gossip Girl" viewers will be begging for this Christmas

Now here's something a little different, a best-of-'09 list from fictional character Dan Humphrey, who began life in the YA series by Cecily von Ziegesar and lives on in a form on the CW. If you don't watch "Gossip Girl" I won't bother to catch you up but suffice it to say Dan is the sensitive writer guy; in an earlier season he met Jay McInerney (playing himself). To the list, then:

First, he might have read THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU but it wouldn't be at #1.

Second, THE HELP? I've missed a few episodes this season, I must have skipped the one where he joins a middle-aged woman's book club in the South. Can we blame Hilary Duff for this?

Third, I have never heard of THE BLONDE OF THE JOKE, but now that I've looked it up let's drop something well above his pay grade in there like GENEROSITY: AN ENHANCEMENT. No, wait, come to think of it, Dan would totally be an Infinite Summerer. Takes one to know one.

Fourth (and somewhat related to the last) is that while I believe he would read THE BELIEVERS, I doubt he'd really be able to grasp the subtlety of same. Despite everything the show writers do to convince us he's smart (having him, for example, publish a story in the New Yorker of the exploits of one "Charlie Trout"), he's basically Finn from "Glee" with sideburns. Let's just say I don't have a picture of him on my fridge.

Despite all this, as presented I believe he would wade through all these books, consider it due diligence and go back to moping. And if loyal viewers are moved to get these books, that can only be good.

1 comment:

Grüner Tee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.