02 December 2009

Not one person in a hundred keeps to a reading regimen. Every American over the age of thirty-five exercises regularly, or feels volubly guilty about not doing so. But almost no one approaches middle age with the ambition of getting around to George Eliot at last. Ask someone his favorite kind of food and he will answer as if he’d been waiting to be asked; his list will be ranked and comprehensively annotated. Ask him about his favorite genre and he won’t even bother to look puzzled; he will laugh at you.
-- D.G. Myers, "What have you been reading?" I realize I'm showing my youth by saying this, but I will not grow old to be like that, I will not. Now I'll stop before I sound any more like a 12-year-old about to get grounded.

2 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

Randall Jerrell's "the obscurity of the poet" deals humorously wtih the absence of reading from even the most refined americans.

Ellen said...

I will look for it, but it better be funny. (Note: this is an empty threat.)