13 July 2009

Post-Its

Guardian: A ninth Anne of Green Gables book, THE BLYTHES ARE QUOTED, will be published by Penguin this fall. I knew it! I never liked RILLA OF INGLESIDE to begin with and now I am vindicated. (C'mon, she was so spoiled and stupid. She should have been sent off to die in World War I instead of her sensitive brother. Back me up, here, people.)

A.V. Club (yeah, I know): Before HBO optioned MIDDLESEX they picked up the rights to George R.R. Martin's A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series with Peter Dinklage to star. (That's George R.R. Martin as in "is not your bitch.") We got sent a copy of A FEAST FOR CROWS at my college magazine for some reason and one of the editors practically wept with joy over it.

Reuters: The MONEYBALL movie news this week is that Soderbergh is out after Columbia reportedly rejected his script, and here he comes to save the day... Aaron Sorkin is in. Script issues begone! Sorkin had most recently been working on an adaptation of BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE author Ben Mezrich's new book about Facebook, THE ACCIDENTAL BILLIONAIRES.

New York Observer: He may be the only rapper to rewrite history without a pen, but Jay-Z is about to sign a deal with Spiegel & Grau for a book about his lyrics. I suspect it will have slightly more celebrity involvement than the Kanye book, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Finally, despite the bad haircuts inflicted on its stars, its apparent creation of a site called "blogspot @ salon.com" (to double the trademark claims?) and the premise that led to the author's next book, I am looking cautiously forward to this movie:

8 comments:

Jess said...

OK, I LIKED Rilla of Ingleside. I did! Yes, she was spoiled and stupid but the whole point is that she grew up and became less spoiled and stupid! OK, I'm a sucker, and I will probably read this ninth book, too. Though I am highly dubious.

Ellen said...

Hey, it's cool. But what would you say was your favorite book of the original 8?

Anna Weaver Lopiccolo said...

Rilla was spoiled but once she took in that baby she matured quickly.

I liked the book with the elderly women she boarded with and Gog and Magog, the china dogs on their mantle. Probably just for those details too. Was that "Anne of the Island"?

I didn't like the later books as much because Anne fades more into the background.

Ellen said...

That was Anne of the Island, and that is my favorite one. Who could forget Philippa? Or Royal? And the dramatic ending!

Wade Garrett said...

I tend not to give Nora Ephron the benefit of the doubt, but I like Streep and Adams so much that this one may be worth seeing after all. Upgrading from Meg Ryan to Amy Adams is a little like going from a cardboard box taped to a skateboard with a roman candle on the back to a Ferrari. Okay, so that didn't really make sense. But its a big upgrade.

Also, I suspect that Mama Garrett will watch this movie approximately 500 times.

I was thrilled to hear that two of my favorite things, Moneyball and Aaron Sorkin teleplays, are about to be united. I can't wait.

Ellen said...

Agree on Ephron, agree on Adams. And yeah, my mom will be all over this, especially since it's opening against the "G.I. Joe" movie.

Emily said...

I loved Rilla (although my real favorite is Anne of the Island, because, duh, she finally hooks it up with Gilbert).

Ellen said...

Not a huge Gilbert fan, actually.

I will now pause so you can all tell me I'm crazy.