14 July 2009

Munroed, Bethlehemmed

James Collins' BEGINNER'S GREEK: Hardcover (Little, Brown)...



Paperback (Back Bay, also an imprint of Hachette)...


From offbeat collage to GOSSIP GIRL reject. I didn't adore the orange-blue combination of the former, but the latter informs me that Mr. and Ms. Modelface are separated by a fake pillar of emotion! I wish them well in dismantling it. (The Munro, for comparison.)

Now, from two same things that are different we move on to two different things that are the same. I was visiting a friend in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania last weekend who suggested we hit the Moravian Book Shop, where I saw these books side-by-side on a table:

North Point Press, 2007


Little, Brown, 2008

"Maybe it's part of a larger plan," I said to my friend. "Why look, the books above them both have horses on the cover." A tired voice called from elsewhere, "That's because they're by the same author."

The Moravian Book Shop, which I vaguely remember visiting once before when I lived in the area, is the world headquarters for signed books by John "the ME in MARLEY & ME" Grogan. They had a really well-stocked spinner of black Penguin classics, most of which I had (paradoxically) never heard of before. They also were prominently featuring a book on how to classify your farts with a blue sound box built into the cover. I watched a woman mash down a few of the buttons and then look horrified at what came out, but really, she was warned.

3 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

that amish girl smoking was also the cover art for the 2002 documentary "Devil's Playground" about Rumspringa. I guess no one has ever taken a more representative picture (smoking+car+bonnet)

Ellen said...

Having looked that up, 8, it's not a coincidence: Apparently Shachtman was involved with the interviews that went into the movie and expanded on those for the book.

Have you seen that documentary? Is it good?

8yearoldsdude said...

I greatly enjoyed myself. but mostly what I remember is that I was learning new facts--e.g., that rumspringa existed and how it worked.

in the last 7 years, these have become more common knowledge. I am not sure that there was much cinemagraphic genius in the film itself, so I am not sure how it would hold up on rewatching. but it was 5 years ago that I saw it.